We’ve collated the 10 best hair straighteners for all hair types and styles. And with a wide range of brands available such as ghd, L’Oréal Professionnel and Babyliss, you’ll be sure to find the perfect straightening iron that will offer you beautiful locks in no time at all. A quality hair straightener is one of the best investments that you can make for your hair. The right hair straightener is so versatile it can smooth your hair straight, create tousled, beachy waves, or help you to achieve the perfect curl.
Which are the best hair straighteners?
- ghd Mini Styler
- L’Oréal Steampod
- Balmain Universal Cordless Straightener
- ghd Max Styler
- BaByliss Diamond Hair Straighteners
- ghd Platinum+ White Straighteners
- Paul Mitchell Neuro Smooth Straighteners
- ghd Original Styler
- BaByliss Cordless Straightener
- ghd Gold Styler
How to choose your hair straighteners
When it comes to looking for the perfect pair of hair straighteners, there are a few things to consider:
Width of the hair straightener - Hair straighteners are available in a variety of widths: slim plates (usually around 2.5 – 3cm are suitable for short hair) while wider plates (around 6cm) are better for those with longer hair or thick hair.
Hair straightener plates:
- Ceramic plates distribute heat more evenly but can be slower to warm up.
- Titanium plates heat up much more quickly than ceramic plates however, hair straighteners with this plate type tend to be more expensive.
- Ceramic coated plates are made from a metal base topped with a ceramic layer giving you the best of both worlds - a speedy heating time paired with more evenly distributed heat.
Variable temperature - Depending on your hair density, you’ll want to heat your hair straighteners to different temperatures to ensure the best results. Low heat is better suited to people with fine hair and a higher heat is better suited to people with coarse hair or thick hair.
Are they ionic? - Nobody wants frizz or flyaways and when there is too much positive charge on your hair, it can cause static. Ionic technology neutralises this unwanted charge and helps to keep your hair smooth, sleek and frizz free.
10 of the best hair straighteners 2021
The best hair straighteners of 2021 have been tried and tested by our experts. (Prices correct as of January 2021) If you’re ready to invest in a pair of long lasting hair straighteners that will give you shiny, glossy and gorgeous hair time and time again, then keep on reading...
1.ghd Mini Styler£119.00 The ghd Mini Styler takes the guilt out of heat styling. Tri-zone technology ensures that heat is maintained so hair remains healthy, glossy and strong; giving you great results without compromising the condition of your hair. The intelligent irons constantly adapt to your individual hair fibres to deliver the optimum styling temperature at all times. Styling with the ghd Platinum+ has also been proven to be safe for coloured hair as well as reducing hair breakage and increasing shine. ‘Couldn’t be without my platinum+ GHD’s!! They’ve been an absolute game changer for me since I started using them - my hair feels healthier, much more sleek and I definitely experience less breakage since switching to them. Would be lost without them!’ - Chloe Adair Key features
- ‘Ceramic heat technology
- Precision-milled floating plates with gloss coating
- Sleep mode switches off if inactive for 30 minutes
2.L’Oréal Professionnel Steampod 3.0£235.000 The L’Oréal Professionnel Steampod is unique in that unlike traditional hair straighteners, it relies on steam technology to straighten hair; reducing frizz and smoothing down the fibres. This technology provides gentle heat action which helps to minimise damage to the hair. Proven to be faster than other straighteners and giving up to 50% smoother hair, the Steampod is perfect for enhancing your blow-dry and giving you salon-perfect results each and every time. ‘I swear by the Steampod! The best hair straightening tool that i have ever tried. Leaves the hair silky smooth, frizz free and with an amazing shine. I feel that my hair is less damaged and looks straight for longer’ - Andreea Opris Key features
- Steam Powered
- Double Technology Plates with high resistant anodised coating
- Intelligent Heat Control - 3 heat settings from 180°C to 210°C
- 14% thinner and 37% lighter design vs Steampod 2.0
3.Balmain Universal Cordless Straightener£199.95 When you’re travelling, you don’t have a lot of space in your suitcase for your hair straighteners, but equally you don’t want to compromise on your style. The Balmain Universal Cordless Straightener is one of the best hair straighteners we have tried that is available in a smaller size. Made with titanium floating plates, the styler glides through your hair and can be used all hair types and lengths to simply straighten or curl. Make sure you pack this away for your holiday, so your locks always look lovely. Key features
- Cordless hair straighteners
- Titanium floating plates
- Three heat settings (160°C-200°C)
4.ghd Max Styler£149.00 The ghd Max Styler from ghd has great 5* reviews on LOOKFANTASTIC; making it one of our all-time best hair straighteners. The larger plates on the styler make it ideal for thicker and curlier hair which needs extra heat to fully smooth the fibres. The contoured edges and wider plates also help create beautifully loose curls and waves; making it a great multi-tasking styler should you want a product which does more than straighten your hair. Key Features
- Ceramic heat technology
- Optimum styling temperature of 185°C
- Wide contoured floating plates
- Heat-resistant protective plate guard
- Automatic sleep mode
- 30 second heat up time
5.BaByliss Diamond Hair Straighteners£100.00 This hair straightener has diamond-infused titanium plates; making it a perfect choice for anyone who loves luxurious beauty. The plates provide a high shine finish so hair appears radiant and healthy. The advanced ceramic heaters heat up in just 15 seconds and have 3 different temperature settings so you can customise the heat to your hair type. The plates also have a curved edge to them, making them perfect to create loose curls and waves. ‘I love how you can go from sleek to tousled waves with the ghd straightener, good hair, good mood, good day “. Always remember hair is 99% of your selfie! 💫’ - Tara Maynard Key Features
- Up to 235°C high heat performance
- Diamond infused ceramic plates for sleek results
- Longer plates for fast styling
- Ready to use in 15 seconds
- Active frizz-control ionic conditioners
- Advanced Ceramics™ to maintain high heat and fast heat up
- Auto shut-off safety function
- Universal voltage for worldwide use
6.ghd Platinum+ White Straighteners£189.00 The ghd Platinum+ White Straighteners are perfect for straightening, curling or waving your hair. The luxury tool provides a consistent temperate of 185°C to help reduce hair damage and split ends. Not only does the product work amazing, the white glossy finish makes it the perfect tool to display in your collection. Key Features
- Consistent 185°C temperature
- Safer-for-hair heat
- UK three pin plug
- Ultra-Zone® Technology
- Sleek design and rounder barrel for snag-free styling
- Healthier styling in one stroke
- Reduced breakage and damage
- Sleep mode switches off if inactive for 30 minutes
7.ghd Original Styler£109.00 The ceramic plates on this hair straightener ensure that hair remains glossy and nourished even through the high-level of heat. A brilliant all-rounder for quick and effortless everyday styling, the ghd Original Styler can create both smooth locks and curls; making it a great multi-tasking product. Suitable for all hair types and lengths, the styler glides smoothly through the hair in one gentle action so snagging is reduced. "I've used the ghd Original Styler for over 12 years - they're my styler of choice for everyday. Nothing beats them in my eyes - great for sleek, straight styles and curls/waves, there's no style I wear that I can't use my ghd Original Styler to create." - Lady Writes Key Features
- Original ceramic heat technology
- Optimum styling temperature of 185°C
- Floating plates for extra control while styling.
- Automatic sleep mode: switches off if not used for 30 minutes
- Universal voltage
- 30 second heat up time: for quick and easy styling
8.BaByliss Cordless Straightener£200.00 This luxury cordless styler allows you to create salon-worthy looks from sleek and smooth to voluminous waves. The innovative tool is designed with effortless magnetic charging reaching it's full power in 3 hours, making this the perfect styler for when you're on the go! Key Features:
- Powered by lithium-ion for sustained power performance
- Patented Micro Heating Matrix delivers consistent straightening on every section
- Three temperature settings: 160°C, 180°C, 200°C
- Ready to use in seconds
- Effortless magnetic charging with three-hour fast charge for 30-minute use at maximum temperature
- Intelligent battery life indicator that indicates the level of charge
9.KeraStraight Titanium Iron 1.5£130.00 Constructed with tourmaline technology within the plates, the provides a sleek, straight finish, while helping to lock in moisture and protein when used with hair treatments. Choose your appropriate temperature setting starting from 140°C, displayed on the digital display. Key Features:
- Adjustable temperature settings starting from 140°C/284°F
- Digital temperature display
- 360 degree swivel cord
- 100% nano-titanium plates
- Tourmaline technology
You can also view our full selection of Hair Straighteners for a wide choice of brands and products to suit your hair type and need.